It’s the time again, folks – the beginning of a new season of the Bachelor/Bachelorette. This season, we have Andi, a prosecutor in Atlanta, who is searching for the perfect man. If you don’t remember, Andi was on Juan Pablo’s season of the Bachelor, and made it to the top three there before realizing that JP really only cared about himself. So she voluntarily left, and everyone was so happy that they chose her to be the Bachelorette. Now, I can’t tell you a whole lot about the first episode of the show, because there are so many guys, and I don’t remember them all. She started with 25, and now Andi has 19 guys left. That’s a lot to keep track of! So anyways, she sent six guys home. There were the introductions, when the guys got out of their respective limos and met Andi for the first time. There was a cocktail party, where she was able to talk more with some of them. And then the Rose Ceremony. End of episode.
Here are my thoughts on the premiere:
- I love Andi. I knew I liked her during JP’s season, but it’s even more clear now. She’s great. She’s strong and she really wants love. She admits that she doesn’t need it, but she wants it. I love that.
- She quit her job to be the Bachelorette. This is unsettling for me, a little bit. She’s a lawyer – that’s seven years of school past high school. Why would she give that up so easily? It seems like it could be because she is open to moving somewhere other than Atlanta after the show, should she meet her husband, but I’m not sure if that’s correct or not. I guess we shall see!
- One of her contestants died after the taping of the show. His name was Eric Hill, and he died in a tragic paragliding accident at the end of April. I wasn’t sure what to make of the beginning of this premiere episode, where Chris Harrison somberly tells us about Eric’s death, and that the season is dedicated to his memory. I had to pause the show (I was watching online the next day) to google him – I had never heard of an Eric Hill. That’s because I hadn’t met him yet. It’s going to be interesting to see how ABC handles the rest of the season, since after this first episode, it certainly looks like Eric and Andi have quite a spark. Read more here.
- She let some questionable characters through the first rose ceremony. Like the guy who was wearing a v-neck under a blazer with the collar popped. Yikes. And the pantsapreneur? I think he makes pants? Yeah, there were some interesting ones, but not as bad as “free spirit” or “dog lover”. You guys still win! See here for more interesting bios.
- And then there was Chris Bukowski. He showed up with a dozen red roses trying to get into the house to vie for Andi’s heart. If you don’t remember Chris, he was a contestant on Emily’s season of the Bachelorette. I will always remember him as Crazy Baby Eagle Face. Anyway, Andi sent him away, so we didn’t get to see any real excitement. But it was entertaining nonetheless.
Anyway, I’m sure there will be more to come this season. And, as I will be saying every week, if you want a full recap, check out my pal’s Bachelorette recaps over at Pop Culture Polar Bear. She’s a gem (and hilarious).